World Bank: Kiribati Adaptation Project (Phase II)
|Title:||Kiribati Adaptation Project (Phase II)|
|Client Type||National Government – Kiribati
Development Bank/NGO – GEF, AusAID, NZAID
|Our Role||Technical expert – climate change risk assessment and adaptation planning
Communications and outreach
How can the assessment of climate change risk be undertaken to ensure technical rigour, mentor skills transfer ensuring training and stimulate effective adaptive action?
|Kiribati is increasingly vulnerable to climate change due to high population concentration, accelerated coastal development, shoreline erosion, and environmental degradation. To address these rising risks, the Government of Kiribati received funding from a number of donors including the World Bank, the Global Environmental Facility (GEF), AusAID and NZAID, to undertake work to reduce Kiribati’s vulnerability to climate change, climate variability and sea level rise.
The project team worked closely with stakeholders to develop a climate change risk diagnosis and planning process for Kiribati that would address coastal hazards within the context of climate change.
Our team (in particular, Robert, Carmen, Ailbhe, Ania) worked by implementing pilot adaptation measures and consolidating the mainstreaming of adaptation into national economic planning. Specifically, the project involved:
Follow Up Project
A follow up of the initial project was undertaken a year later, which included:
Title: Impact of extreme weather events in infrastructure Client Type: Private sector - mining Our Role: Technical expert - climate…
More Case Studies
- Climate change risk assessment and adaptation anal...
- Climate change adaptation action stories
- Stocktake Review and Operational Guidance on Ecosy...
- Impact of extreme weather events on infrastructure
- Scarborough Master Plan Review – Climate change ...
- Climate change risk assessment and adaptation plan...
- Impact of Extreme Weather Events and Climate Chang...
- Kiribati Adaptation Project (Phase II)
- Climate-proofing Public Infrastructure – UNDP Tr...
- Identification and Implementation of Adaptation Re...
- Adaptation in the Coastal Zones of Mozambique
- Pacific Islands Framework for Action on Climate Ch...
- ICCAI Consultation Workshop